Sunday, June 19, 2011

I am going to quit smoking

One morning this winter I woke up and realized that more and more I was waking up short of breath and always tired.    I reluctantly made an appointment with my doctor.   I really really really hate appointments and being poked and prodded at.   I must have been feeling pretty bad to subject myself to this.   Anyway,  turns out I had pneumonia.  hmmm...  I thought pneumonia involved coughing and cold symptoms.   So a week of antibiotics later I was feeling fine again.    Then a few months later the whole situation was repeated.   My lungs were saying enough is enough.  Stop killing us!  

Twenty some years earlier I had gone to a hypnotist and quit smoking completely for the duration of my second pregnancy.   This time I would quit for good.    $500 later after two appointments with a hypnotist that kept insisting I was smoking because I didn't like myself.  I was smoking more than ever.    I smoke because I like it and enjoy it and I'm not ashamed of it.   If I could easily buy and install new lungs and smoke for another thirty years I would.

Patches:   I went to Sam's Club and bought some Nicoderm CQ.    At first it was great.  I completely stopped smoking.  It was about 54 dollars for a three week supply.    At the beginning of week three I found myself smoking again.   Only about three or four cigarettes a day but not a good sign.  I could see myself becoming one of those people who wear a patch chew the gum and still smoke.   ugh!   Clearly patches were not going to be the answer.

I realized what I was missing was the physical act of smoking.  Could electronic cigarettes be the answer?

I went to a local smoke store and bought a starter kit of The Trio Fifty One.  It cost me about $60.   I loved it.    This was my answer.  I can buy cartridges with all levels of nicotine from zero to full strength.  There's no smoke going into my lungs.  There's no dirty ashes or ash trays.  No second hand smoke.   Awesome!

I will be reviewing electronic cigarettes for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment